Friday, July 11, 2025
Home Blog Page 23

Most Vegas Victims Wont See A Dime of $22 Million Raised

0

The Las Vegas committee overseeing the millions of dollars donated after the mass shooting in October says that more victims will receive help for their medical costs, but many if not most will not see a dime. Steve Sisolak, Clark County Commission Chair has not addressed the issue to anyone’s satisfaction, after hastily raising money without any rules.

Scott Nielson, chairman of the Las Vegas Victims Fund Committee, says the fund has $22 million, but that they just can’t help everyone unfortunately, and will be denying most people.

“It is our desire to recognize and honor all of those whose lives have been forever altered as a result of the horrific events of 1 October and we recognize the incredible needs of those experiencing psychological trauma,” Nielson said in a statement Friday.

Christine Caria who was trampled at the concert and can’t walk because of ligament damage to her legs is being denied funds.  “Last night, I got a really good night’s sleep. But the previous three weeks, I hadn’t,” Caria said. “A lot of it has to do with sleep and nightmares and triggers.” She also is seeing a counselor for post-traumatic stress disorder, but that isn’t covered under the final guidelines established by the committee.

Mario Batali’s Name Removed from His Vegas Restaurants After Sex Scandal

0

Staff at B&B Ristrorante, named  for Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich has confirmed that they have removed Mario Batali’s name from the restaurants and will be changing their name. The person who picked up the phone at the Restaurant confirmed that the sign came down Friday night, and they will be removing all his products and images from the restaurants moving forward.

According to a spokesperson for Joe Bastianich, Batali does not hold an ownership stake in Batali & Bastianich Hospitality Group, which handles operations and human resources for the restaurants under its umbrella.

But the chef does co-own each of the group’s restaurants; depending on the structure of each, it’s likely that he would have to be forced to divest or otherwise be bought out by his partners in order to fully separate from each entity.

Bastianich also visited all of the New York and Vegas restaurants over the last few days, trying to reassure employees. Batali & Bastianich is the company running about 24 restaurants owned by Batali and Bastianich. He was at the 10th Anniversary of Carnevino last week, looking a bit on the sad side also.

Batali’s name was removed from all of the online literature also.

New Low-Cost Flights Start from Mexico City to Las Vegas at $114

0

Today, Viva Aerobus, Mexico´s ultra-low-cost airline, inaugurated its new international route Mexico City-Las Vegas, result of its commitment to expand an affordable connectivity network for everyone. The route will have a daily frequency and tickets at prices starting from USD $114 ($ 2,117 pesos).

The ceremony was attended by Alejandro Madrigal Becerra, Consul of Mexico, Rosemary Vassiliadis, director of Clark County Aviation Department, Cathy Tull, senior vice president of marketing in Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority and Juan Carlos Zuazua, general director of Viva Aerobus, who made the classic ribbon cutting to celebrate the arrival of a new strategic ally in benefit of the accessibility between both countries.

“The arrival of Viva Aerobus to Las Vegas is a great opportunity to continue strengthening commercial and tourism relations between Mexico and the state of Nevada. Currently, Mexican tourists are the second largest group of international visitors to the state. We hope that this new route will also contribute to increase the number of visitors from the United States and other countries to Mexico”, said the Consul of Mexico, Alejandro Madrigal.

This new route is part of Viva Aerobus strategy focused on customers. “Each new route is backed by the deep knowledge we have of our passengers. Our vocation is to satisfy their needs and preferences. Thus, we know how and where they want to travel and Mexico is the second most important international market for Las Vegas”, said Juan Carlos Zuazua, general director of Viva Aerobus.
“We are thrilled to see our airline partnerships continue to expand, providing more nonstop options for visitors from Mexico”, said Cathy Tull, senior vice president of marketing for the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority.

“With the new daily route on Viva Aerobus, we are anticipating nearly $78 million in annual economic impact. More than 1.2 million travelers from Mexico visit Las Vegas every year, and this added service provides continued growth to help us achieve our goal of increasing international visitation over the next decade”, Tull added.

“We welcome Viva Aerobus’s newest nonstop flights and believe its low fares will bring great success, making Las Vegas an even more easily accessible option for Mexican visitors,” said Rosemary A. Vassiliadis, Clark County Aviation Director. “In response to continued interest from around the world, McCarran International Airport recently increased its capacity to handle international arrivals and is expanding amenities with a new high-end airport lounge and expansive duty-free retail location.”

In the words of Juan Carlos Zuazua, the greater availability of flights at a competitive price will increase passenger traffic, thus, boosting business and tourism for both, Mexico and the United States, by connecting the wide cultural offer of Las Vegas, “World Capital of Entertainment”, and Mexico City, the city with most museums in the world.

“We are closing a great year for Viva Aerobus. Today we are the fastest growing Mexican airline. In fact, this year we expect to have an approximate increase of 30% in terms of passengers. We are very proud to celebrate 11 years of service to all travelers”, concluded Zuazua.

All-New Peng Zu Asian Restaurant Now Open at Suncoast Hotel and Casino

0

The newest dining experience at the Suncoast Hotel and Casino – Peng Zu – is now open, showcasing Asian favorites and authentic tastes in a contemporary and comfortable atmosphere. Founded on the legend of Peng Zu, a long-lived figure in China, the restaurant serves a signature soup as well as dinner specialties prepared fresh to order.

Celebrating the legend of Peng Zu – a figure said to have lived more than 800 years – Suncoast’s all-new signature restaurant encompasses the inspiration of using cooking, herbs and spices to promote long life and good health. Peng Zu was known for a chicken soup that could aid any ailment and add years to one’s life. A take on this magical recipe lives on at Peng Zu as a specialty dish served nightly.

The restaurant’s bright and cheerful design evokes the casual noodle shops of Hong Kong and Shanghai. Suspended overhead are 50 authentic, screen-printed parasols from China that have been converted into a gorgeous ceiling feature. The back wall of the restaurant features a wall-to-wall custom art installation designed with imagery and symbolism representing joy, longevity, and good fortune

“Peng Zu offers the northwest Valley an authentic new Asian dining option featuring a fun and approachable concept,” said Mark LaVoie, Vice President of Food and Beverage for Boyd Gaming. “The menu at Peng Zu appeals to a variety of tastes, and locals and visitors are really going to enjoy this fresh amenity to the hotel.”

Showcasing a dinner menu comprised of well-known favorites and original dishes, Peng Zu highlights items including:

  • Appetizers: Egg rolls, Potstickers, Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings and Moo Shu Pork
  • Soups: Vietnamese Beef Pho, Oxtail Soup, Cha Shu Ramen and its delicious and nutritious Peng Zu Soup
  • Wok Fried Specialties: Honey-Walnut Shrimp, Cashew Chicken and Orange Peel Beef
  • Noodles: Pad Thai, BBQ Pork Noodles, Singapore Noodles, Hong Kong Chow Mein and Cantonese Lo Mein
  • Peng Zu House Specialties: Roast Duck, Black Pepper Steak, Curry Chicken Clay Pot and Black Bean Prawns
  • Rice and Vegetables: Chinese Broccoli, Baby Bok Choy and Buddha’s Delight mixed Chinese vegetables
  • Desserts: Mochi Ice Cream, Lychee Nuts and Mango Cake
  • Combination Specialties ($10): Choice of Mongolian Beef, Sweet & Sour Chicken or Pork, Beef Chow Fun or General TSO’s Chicken served with Vegetable Spring Roll and Vegetable Fried Rice. Hot & Sour Soup, Egg Drop Soup or Miso Soup can be added for $2.

Chef Scott Conant Opening Italian Eatery at Red Rock

0

Chef, author and restaurateur Scott Conant is opening a new restaurant in Las Vegas.

Masso Osteria is scheduled to open inside the Red Rock Casino, Resort & Spa in February. Since stepping away from Scarpetta at the Cosmopolitan earlier this year, Masso Osteria is now his only restaurant in Las Vegas.

Scott Conant is the head chef, a professional television food judge and a self-proclaimed “really nice guy”

And Conant’s signature spaghetti dish, pasta al pomodoro, which you can order at his Los Angeles restaurant the Ponte, will be on the menu in Vegas.

 

New Turf Being Added to Iconic Vegas Sign

0

Work began Monday to replace the turf surrounding the world-famous “Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas” landmark.

The project on Las Vegas Boulevard just south of Russell Road was scheduled to take place by the end of the year. Extra wear and tear occurred while the Las Vegas mass shooting memorial was at the site. The 58 crosses for the victims were taken to the Clark County Museum on Nov. 12.

“The turf that’s being replaced at the base of the sign … there were a lot of candles and other things there (from the shooting memorial) that left marks,” Clark County spokesman Dan Kulin said. “So, it was already planned, but it just worked out.”

An 1,850-square-foot section of turf is being replaced. A concrete curb border around the sign is being installed.

“Up until now it was a wood border that was partially in the ground to keep the turf in place,” Kulin said. “It’s similar to the curb around the island of turf behind it.”

The total cost for the turf replacement and curb addition is about $18,000.

The island of turf behind the sign, where the 58 crosses were displayed, is not being replaced.

Work is scheduled to wrap up by Wednesday night. Visitors can still take photos with the sign during the project, but they will not be able to stand on the area where the turf is being replaced.

Security in Las Vegas Boosted after More ISIS Threats Made

0

In the wake of the Oct. 1 mass shooting in Las Vegas that killed 58 people, state lawmakers have approved a major increase in funding to bolster security for New Year’s Eve events in the city.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports legislators on Thursday approved $357,000 so they can have a record 358 Nevada National Guard troops working. They will be stationed at the Las Vegas Strip, Freemont Street and at McCarran International Airport.

That’s triple the funding set aside last year when the state paid about $120,000 to have 160 troopers working.

Clark County Deputy Fire Chief John Steinbeck said the boost is needed because New Years’ Eve in Las Vegas has been given the highest-possible assessment from Homeland Security in the same tier as events such as the Super Bowl.

The new ISIS video calls for specific attacks against U.S. cities similar to the attack that happened at Pulse nightclub in Orlando. Las Vegas isn’t mentioned by name in the video, but images of the Strip are shown.

The website PJMedia.com published a photo from the video that appears to be a pedestrian walkway connected to the Bellagio above the Strip. The video also shows footage of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. 8 News NOW reached out to PJ Media to see if anyone could speak to us about the video, but we have yet to hear back from the website.

Is Westgate Casino Illegally Microwaving Guests?

1

Guests of the Westgate Las Vegas may be in for a surprise, after it’s been learned that they have installed a new microwave device for detecting guns. The resort rolled out the security feature without telling guests that they are being subject to potentially dangerous microwaves being emitted from the walls.

This device called Patscan Cognitive is a new system that is being tested that uses microwaves to scan people and look for possible guns by radiating guest’s bodies without their permission. The device which is new has never been used before in large areas and is not approved by the FDA currently, raising questions if the technology is safe and legal.

Even if safe, there are many issues with privacy including the fact that guests are not aware of the devices being used.

Mario Batali Empire In Serious Trouble After Sexual Assault Allegations

0

Mario Batali has been fired as  co-host of ABC’s The Chew after four women accused the celebrity chef of sexual misconduct including assaults.

Four women in the restaurant industry have accused celebrity chef Mario Batali of sexual misconduct over a period spanning at least two decades, according to a story published Monday by Eater which also detailed a pattern of inappropriate behavior throughout Batali’s career.

One of the women, a chef, said she was excited to meet Batali at a wine industry event about a decade ago. When someone bumped her, making her spill a glass of wine down her shirt, she said that Batali started groping her, saying something like, “Let me help you with that.”

“He just went to town, and I was so shocked,” she said. “Jaw on the ground, I just stepped back from him in utter disgust and walked away.”

Although the woman never worked for Batali, three other accusers who spoke to Eater were employees in various capacities.

One of them said Batali spent two years repeatedly grabbing her from behind and holding her tightly against his body; another said he groped her and, in another incident, compelled her to straddle him; and a third said he grabbed her breasts at a party.

Batali, who became a star on the hit Food Network show Molto Mario, didn’t deny the allegations and confirmed in a statement to the site that he is stepping away from his businesses for an unspecified amount of time.

“I apologize to the people I have mistreated and hurt. Although the identities of most of the individuals mentioned in these stories have not been revealed to me, much of the behavior described does, in fact, match up with ways I have acted,” Batali said. “That behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility and am deeply sorry for any pain, humiliation or discomfort I have caused to my peers, employees, customers, friends and family.”

 

ISIS Says It’s Targeting Las Vegas

0

The Islamic State is promoting a forthcoming sequel to its most infamous movie that threatened America at the beginning of the caliphate, with the new trailer showing fire raining down on several U.S. cities before America is engulfed in a fireball.

ISIS’ official al-Hayat Media Foundation didn’t give a release date for “Flames of War II: Until the Final Hour,” but distributed the trailer extensively across many open media platforms including YouTube and Google Drive.

The teaser begins with a rapid-fire montage of fiery battle scenes that appear to be from Iraq or Syria.

The focus then shifts to the United States, with columns of fire raining down on Los Angeles, Florida, New York, Texas and Nevada, labeled on a U.S. map.

ISIS appeared to be referring to the San Bernardino Christmas party attack in 2015, the 2015 attempted attack at a “Draw Muhammad” event in Garland, Texas, the 2016 Orlando nightclub attack, this Halloween’s Manhattan bike path attack, and the Las Vegas mass shooting at the beginning of October. The terror group continues to claim gunman Stephen Paddock as their own Abu Abdul Bar al-Amriki, yet have not released evidence to back up the claim; authorities have maintained they have discovered no terrorist links as a motive remains elusive).